United States Relic Recovery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Learning the machine....

4 posters

Go down

Learning the machine.... Empty Learning the machine....

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, I picked up my new e-trac today still sick as a dog but I just couldn't stand it I had to go hunt with it! I assembled it and put my batteries in then I hit the door. A short drive to Durant an met up with GoneHunting...He checked my settings and the hunt was on...Now I know that I am new with this machine but this is not as hard as I thought it would be. The tones tell you everything the numbers are just back up. I dug two quarters two dimes and six pennies (1 a wheatie !) as far as trash goes it was a nail and a letter A. mostly i just listened to the sweet chirps and when i had a nice repeatable high tone I checked my numbers and then dug. I feel that I will get along fine with this detector!

I will update this thread as I learn stuff. lesson one Listen to your tones! 1-28-12

Last edited by Freak on a Lesche on Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added date)
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Learning the machine.... Empty Re: Learning the machine....

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 pm

Came back from visiting family in Tulsa today and I didn't have much time so I went to an area I found silver in before with my Fisher. I have had my E-trac for about three weeks now. I have found about three wheats so far. Today was different. I started out digging a 12--46 12-47 signal at 6-7 inches. I cut the plug and a wheatie popped out(1945)...shucks. I filled the hole and waved the trac over it again...12-47 solid. I dug it back out and a silver rim shined at me. 1957 d rosie!!! ok I got excited called a buddy and then got back to swinging. Ten to fifteen minutes later I got a 12-46--12-45 signal at 5 inches. Awesome! A 1945 s Merc came out of the hole. First silver with the trac and it was a multiple silver day!!! I'm pretty excited about this machine. I've hunted this area with both the AT-Pro and the Fisher F-75. I have seen evidence of other hunters at this location sooooooo needless to say I am happy with this machine. Happy hunting and thanks for looking!

Learning the machine.... 402704_346603625360645_100000330320244_1148357_1772156059_n
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:57 pm

I haven't been posting for a while just lazy I guess... Any way I went hunting with dpdave(on his seven silver night) and found a 1949d rosie and three wheats a 1947, 1942, and a 1933d. I also found a no cash value fun token from reno Nevada.

Learning the machine.... 421760_355337914487216_100000330320244_1167622_1868815920_n

Met up with the boys this morning and went to a new town for a door knocking extravaganza . I found a first for me ! An Indian head penny 1887.I also found a 1942d Merc and 3 wheats 1936d, 1935d, and 1941d. I also found a five buck maverick token marked 816(gold award).

Learning the machine.... 424209_355337884487219_100000330320244_1167621_977255050_n

It was a great day thanks for looking!
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:58 pm

Went out today and got wet! This was a good day. Me and GH went to a 1917 house and hunted through the rain and chilly weather. I was swinging my Trac and his spoiled butt had one of those xp deaus machines....(Yes I am jealous) and the home owner (third generation) was swinging an AT Pro. Needless to say we had it covered. Well the trac perfomed nicely! I caught a 10-15 signal dug it and found a 1964 nickle. Filled my hole replaced the plug and swung the coil over the hole...12-46...rehinged the plug pulled the dirt recovered a 1964 Rosie! refilled the hole replaced the plug and swung the coil over it again...12-47! this time it was a 1946 Rosie! Then I checked the hole before refilling no signal. Anyway This was my first silver pocket spill. Very good day for the Freak!

Learning the machine.... 424258_363860700301604_100000330320244_1191815_149748717_n

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:59 pm

After work I went to an old country school that was in operation around 1932. It has been cherry picked pretty bad I had 5 high tones...1 clad quarter, 1 clad dime, 2 memorials, and a cool button. Out of the many low tones I dug I managed a 1945p Jeff and a no date buffalo nickle. I also had a pretty impressive collection of can slaw and pull tabs. All in all It was a good hunt. I learned the nickles are a steady conductive number of 12 on my machine. I also used the two tone ferrous settings. The front of the school had a lot of iron. That is where I pulled the two memorials. I know there is still much to learn but I am enjoying the journey.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:00 pm

Got back from tulsa...no hunting up there. Went to a local school and swept across about a 1/4th of the front. I found 8 clad quarters 3 clad dimes, 10 copper pennies, and a small bent .925 ring. It's just shy of two months on this machine. I really like how easily it pulls good metal.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 am

Glad you are really liking it.. One heckova machine you have..
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:41 pm

After conferring with GH about some settings and Ideas rumbling around my head....went hunting today and found some pretty deep pennies... 7 inches deep. Now one of them was a 1959 memorial and the other was 1944 wheatie... I have been working on a slower swing and ground scrubbing technique...At the end of the day I have learned a couple of things.1) the slower swing and ground scrubbing is more effective than messing with settings. 2) Deep targets have jumpy vdi's 3) The more I learn, the more I know there is more to learn....
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:52 am

Im glad you are getting that machine down.. I told you it was a deep coin machine.. can't wait for you to get something past the 10-11inch range... it will have the thunk after the tone...
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:09 pm

In an effort to learn the e-trac a little better I went to a pounded piece of ground and opened my screen all the way up. deep on fast on ground difficult 2 tone ferrous auto sens. I maintained the slow sweep ground scrubbing technique I've been using and searched for repeatable coin numbers. I found three cents...1 was a 1944 wheatie. I feel this could be a great way to revisit old sites and be productive.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprock Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 am

It may be me but heres the scenario. After the tornado I have only a merc dime and a quarter left of my small coin garden. The qtr is kinda special cause its buried 8 inches deep and has a 50 cent sized piece of rotten tin can next to it.

Depending on the moon phase and if the stars are aligned just right I can ring it up very nicely. However, there are times when the signal would likely be dismissed or undetected due to approach and times when you have to really work to get a signal and maybe get none at all.

Granted that qtr has only been there a year. But the only variable I've noticed coming into play is just plain soil moisture. When moisture is high its really hard to get a signal and if one does it falses even with an open screen. Today, it rings up just like its supposed too...in one direction anyway. The coin is somewhat canted.

Not trying to hijack or anything just throwing a little more on the fire. Freak is already way ahead of me on experience and patience with the Trac anyway. Bottom line to me is that with the same settings one can hit or miss very easily depending on what conditions. I expected that with the old technologies but guess surprised to find same with the Trac.

Caprock
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am

Good post Freak and Caprock. I think this is why a site is never hunted out.. granted there is some that may only have a few targets left.. waiting on the perfect conditions or the exact angle... Thats until some lucky dude gets PI machine.. lol
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:20 am

Hey thre is no hyjack anytime anyone wants to post something they are trying with the trac I'd welcome it. I'm gunna try to keep putting settings and results down. maybe we can get more out of the machine if we pool our efforts.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprock Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:35 am

Always open to the magical setting(s)! Very Happy One thing I did not do the day no signal came up was to run it in manual sensitivity and crank it up. Plus maybe switch to deep on. Since its soaking rain today will try it again. Sure hated loosing what garden I had.

Freak, were you running just the stock coil when you found the above?

Caprock
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by pryorcreekjoe Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Just a note to anyone who keeps good records on weather and ground conditions when they detect. Here is a site that shows you the solar data. http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html
The solar flares tend to disrupt and sometimes black out some frequencies and could be a source of EMI that is sporadic.
I for one keep lousy records but have noted when I was air testing my Deus last year that some days you could air test better than others on the same coins, same coil, and same program. The only difference was a solar flare. The wifi portion of the Deus may be more susceptible but I think any electronic device can be affected.
I remember as a kid, I would listen to WLS radio in Chicago at night and sometimes a Mexican station would walk all over it. So I know that electronic devices can be affected by outside forces that we don’t see or feel.
This might help explain why sometimes you go to that hammered to death park that you haven’t found anything in the past 5 hunts and you wonder why you even bother with it and dig goodies like it has never been hunted and then you go back and find nothing again.
pryorcreekjoe
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprock Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:52 pm

pryorcreekjoe wrote:Just a note to anyone who keeps good records on weather and ground conditions when they detect. Here is a site that shows you the solar data. http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html
The solar flares tend to disrupt and sometimes black out some frequencies and could be a source of EMI that is sporadic.
I for one keep lousy records but have noted when I was air testing my Deus last year that some days you could air test better than others on the same coins, same coil, and same program. The only difference was a solar flare. The wifi portion of the Deus may be more susceptible but I think any electronic device can be affected.
I remember as a kid, I would listen to WLS radio in Chicago at night and sometimes a Mexican station would walk all over it. So I know that electronic devices can be affected by outside forces that we don’t see or feel.
This might help explain why sometimes you go to that hammered to death park that you haven’t found anything in the past 5 hunts and you wonder why you even bother with it and dig goodies like it has never been hunted and then you go back and find nothing again.

If you're bout old as me it probably was Wolfman Jack out of Acuna across the River at Del Rio. They could/can blow any one off the air.

Hadn't thought about flares but yeah that would do it.

Caprock
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:34 pm

Caprock wrote:Always open to the magical setting(s)! Very Happy One thing I did not do the day no signal came up was to run it in manual sensitivity and crank it up. Plus maybe switch to deep on. Since its soaking rain today will try it again. Sure hated loosing what garden I had.

Freak, were you running just the stock coil when you found the above?

Yes stock coil.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum