Site is driving my nuts...

Go down

Site is driving my nuts...

Post by pryorcreekjoe on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 pm

I have a site that shows to have had a building on it on the 1896 GLO maps. I hunted it several times about 15 years ago with a Fisher CZ. I found lots of iron, some small brass harness rivets, .45 shell casings, and shotgun shell brass. There are green glass and pottery shards present. I have been hunting it again with my Explorer and my Deus. I am still digging iron. Railroad spikes (railroad less than 1/4 mile away), pieces of stove, square headed nuts and bolts, etc. There is still quite a bit of iron in the ground but no coins, tokens, personal items except for a small piece of the end of a pocket knife. This land has been heavily farmed the past 75 years, deep plowed each year except for the past few years. Heavily fertilized also. I have also not found any nails. No round or square. I think that the fertilizer may have deteriorated them to the point that there is nothing but rust left. The only thing that I haven’t done is to take my F75 out and see what the mineralization of the soil show on the meter. It may be so mineralized that a 6 inch coin would not ring up. I have seen that in some Civil War sites. You literally have to dig every grunt to find bullets in it.
Any ideas from the gallery? I am just about to give up on this site. I hate to since I do know it has been there for over 115 years.
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Re: Site is driving my nuts...

Post by GonehuntingForHistory on Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:08 pm

A friend on my facebook showed a pic a few days ago where he ran a magnet across the ground and it was so mineralized that the dirt was sticking to the magnet. He has several different detectors but has to use an older whites, he calls it a Blue Gray, its like a cross between a 5900 and 6000. He said it was one of the very few machines that would find anything in that soil.. He is actually a member on this forum.. VaYank.. pm him he may have some advice...

Garrett AT Pro

Click the Links below for Connections to Gonehunting For History My personal sites Cool
Gonehunting For History YouTube Channel
My Personal Blog
Follow Me on Twiiter
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down