United States Relic Recovery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain.....

+4
pryorcreekjoe
GonehuntingForHistory
Daniel In Alaska
Freak on a Lesche
8 posters

Go down

I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain..... Empty I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain.....

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:55 pm

Went out today and got wet! This was a good day. Me and GH went to a 1917 house and hunted through the rain and chilly weather. I was swinging my Trac and his spoiled butt had one of those xp deaus machines....(Yes I am jealous) and the home owner (third generation) was swinging an AT Pro. Needless to say we had it covered. Well the trac perfomed nicely! I caught a 10-15 signal dug it and found a 1964 nickle. Filled my hole replaced the plug and swung the coil over the hole...12-46...rehinged the plug pulled the dirt recovered a 1964 Rosie! refilled the hole replaced the plug and swung the coil over it again...12-47! this time it was a 1946 Rosie! Then I checked the hole before refilling no signal. Anyway This was my first silver pocket spill. Very good day for the Freak!

I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain..... 424258_363860700301604_100000330320244_1191815_149748717_n

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain..... Empty Re: I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain.....

Post by Daniel In Alaska Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Ive never dug that many coins in one spot, musta been a hoard or pirates cache you found lol! wtg!

Daniel In Alaska
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain..... Empty Re: I'm just swinging in the rain....swinging in the rain.....

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Great finds Freak!!!!
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pryorcreekjoe Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:40 pm

I love double silvers in a hole. Just make sure that are not 1876 CC quarters. LOL
pryorcreekjoe
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:18 am

LoL I was hoping as I rechecked the hole it would be a seated quarter. I guess I went to the wrong ebay page.....dang the luck.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Caprock Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 am

Nice finds! If you'd filled it back up again though you would have gotten another coin. The coin fairies like to work in the dark you see. cheers

Caprock
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Congrats! Any idea why the Rosies were ringing up that high? The last copper memorial I dug was ringing up high like that. Could it be all the rain we've had lately?

Gman
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by Freak on a Lesche Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm not sure. My trac runs hot a lot I get wheats from 12-42 to 12-44. Clad dimes fall just above that.
Freak on a Lesche
Freak on a Lesche
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by pryorcreekjoe Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:41 pm

Moisture will change the reading slightly, so will the halo effect as well as the amount of patina and corrosion on the coins. I think the black on silver alters the readings just like the green patina on a copper. And Indian Heads come in all over the place. Also, the tilt of the coin in the ground will sometimes give a slightly different reading. I look at the reading as an average, give or take a few numbers. It's the tones that are the most consistant for me no mater what brand of detector I am using.

Just my 2 cents,
PCJ
pryorcreekjoe
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info, PCJ! I was just a bit disappointed thinking I was going to dig a quarter, and it turned out to be a penny.

Gman
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by pryorcreekjoe Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:02 am

I think that if we all keep track of our finds and the VIDs and how each coin was oriented in the ground, it’s real depth, the amount of patina, the moisture content, we would be surprised at the variations of numbers that we really get. But since we dig fast and very seldom see is the coin was flat, at a 20 degree angle, a 45 degree angle or on edge or really see how deep the coin really isn’t, it would be hard to say what our real readings are.
Most 8 inch coins are really 5 or 6 inches. The coins are usually out of the hole and slipped back in before we know it. But, then there are those that we are really careful about and know for a fact that they are 4 inches past the length of the probe. I usually take out a plug and if it is still in the hole, I clean out all of the loose dirt and recheck the hole. It is just my little check for myself on depth. I still get a little sloppy at the end of the day when I get lax on my recoveries but for the most part I am pretty accurate with depth.
VIDs, I don’t look at other than to see if they are in the ball park. The tones are what I really hone in on. The numbers are just backup.
What I hate is that great penny sound and it is copper wire. LOL I dig a ton of it.

pryorcreekjoe
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by tinthumb Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:50 am

Nice Haul.
tinthumb
tinthumb
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/user/tinthumb1

Back to top Go down

Post by bagonails Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:06 am

Great finds Freak.
bagonails
bagonails
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

Congrats Freak, thats some pur dy stuff you found.

Back to top Go down

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:45 pm

good info PCJ
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down