United States Relic Recovery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token...

5 posters

Go down

Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... Empty Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token...

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:53 am

I had some really good hunts last year while hunting what I called Silver Road and the surrounding streets. After January of this year everything seemed to dry up. I found several good finds but it was hit or miss. All of the large older homes were hunted hard and just weren't producing any finds. I would go several days without finding anything of interest.
I changed up my strategy and started hunting homes that were newer(nothing newer than 1940) and chose smaller homes with multiple rooms. I payed careful attention to the older curbs and sidewalks. One such home stuck out.. It was built in 1933 and had the original square curbs and sidewalks. I gain permission by asking to hunt the sidewalk right of way(in between the sidewalk and road). It is the city's easement. I don't have to ask to hunt it, but it is a courtesy to the landowner, and a foot in the door to hunt the yard..Especially when the landowner sees what you are finding, and how when you dig a plug it doesn't tear up the ground or the grass.. The addition to split any gold coins found always excites them.
So with permission given, I started the usual and headed up the sidewalk..I started finding pre 1920's wheat's immediately. I knew then that this spot had been missed by others..

The first day alone I had a total of 12 wheats.. the oldest was a 1910 and the newest was a 1954. After getting into the yard the older relics seemed to be coming from the NE corner of the yard. Here is pics in order as they came out of the ground minus most of the wheats.
This ring was found earlier that day in a previous yard and was the only notable find before moving to the site in this story.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 2ypID

The rest of these came from this one yard on day one.
The first wheat of the yard was this 1912 D cent. I thought well maybe there will be more.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... FXSnO

I moved about a foot and found this.. when I saw the letter, I hoped this would be a sign on what was to come...
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... IwOxA

Next was this lamp wick adjuster.. although it is smashed it helped give a time frame for the yard.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 3brrS

A few swings later, I recovered two compacts. One still had the mirror intact. The second had the words "ARMAND Cold Creme Rouge"
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... PZSZQ
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... MGUSD

This novelty token was next. It was much closer to the sidewalk and I don't think it was related to the house.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... FVbyI

An interesting animal control tag. It is from Tishomingo, which is around 25 to 30 miles away. Evidently the animal control wasn't to strict cause this guy escaped and made it to Durant.. haha..
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 0ba9Y

My next find is something I have yet to ID. The bottom of it appears to be waves or water, with that in mind I think it may be a ship. It isn't aluminum. It is heavy like copper and has a green corrosion on it. There is no apparent writing or backmark on this button. Where the shank or pin would have been is corroded away, leaving a raised green residue.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... OAHBg
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... KYAuk

This nice Boy Scout button followed.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 58otL

A cool out of State Tax token from from the Depression Era
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... DP1n6

Although this was the only silver coin of the day, I was still excited on what else could be found.. I was already happy with the finds, but nothing could prepare me for what was coming...
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 87tqZ

About this time my friend called me and we talked as I detected. When I found this I immediately went to the landowner to see if his children played football..they did not.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... 2MBm1

This next find was one of my favorites, I could have went home after this one
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... K8Crv

Still excited over the soldier, this 1906 Indian Head Cent showed up.
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... NtyB1

Now we were both kinda of excited and I didn't go a half a foot and the find of the day came.. I nearly dropped the phone, and camera.. My nickname about came to pass..
This Indian Territory Token is the 2nd one I have found. I did a little research and found that S.W. Stone was a Pharmacist that had settled in Durant around the 1880-1890's. The first one I found was in November and I ended up selling it to get my wife her own detector. It was extremely rare to say the least..until this day.. now there were two..
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... UPuhU
Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... Hp6Ny
After collecting my self and getting an "way to go" from my friend I hung up the phone and headed home.. thinking that was an awesome day.. unaware the 2nd day would be even better... to be continued....
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down

Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... Empty Re: Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token...

Post by Keex Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:26 am

Man That is amazing , Can't wait to see what is next, all i find is civil war stuff, lol. What a cool variety though congrats bud !

Keex
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token... Empty Re: Saturday's Hunt Nets Another I.T. Token...

Post by robo99 Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:59 am

Congrats Evan, you found another great yard.

robo99
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down

Post by tinthumb Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:37 am

Very nice GH.
tinthumb
tinthumb
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/user/tinthumb1

Back to top Go down

Post by GonehuntingForHistory Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Keex wrote:Man That is amazing , Can't wait to see what is next, all i find is civil war stuff, lol. What a cool variety though congrats bud !
lol I would trade ya for a CW site for sure.. none of that here.. at least nothing like you have out there..

robo99 wrote:Congrats Evan, you found another great yard.
thanks bud
tinthumb wrote:Very nice GH.
Thanks Tin...
GonehuntingForHistory
GonehuntingForHistory
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

http://www.gonehunting.mymdforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pryorcreekjoe Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Nice dig man! Two ITs, awesome!
pryorcreekjoe
pryorcreekjoe
Horse Shoe
Horse Shoe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down