United States Relic Recovery Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First hunt with CTX 3030

Go down

First hunt with CTX 3030 Empty First hunt with CTX 3030

Post by Gman Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Today, I hit a spot that I've pounded hard with my E-trac. It has produced 3 silver dimes, and 25+ wheaties. I didn't find any coins, but had some interesting finds. Half a tax token, a flattened piece of lead, a broken harmonica reed, and a small buckle.
First hunt with CTX 3030 Random

Can't say that I would or wouldn't have found them with my E-Trac, but I did have one find that I might not have dug using the E-Trac. It's a piece of iron, with a brass or copper ring on one side. We think it might be part of a valve stem, minus the stem, from a truck tire.
First hunt with CTX 3030 Changer

With the CTX, I was getting a 12-42 and an iron signal from multiple angles. After digging it, I laid it on the ground and scanned it with the E-trac. With the detection field running "perpendicular" to the iron, it nulled out. Running "parallel", I was getting a ragged sounding 1-38 that jumped around to about 6-38. Not sure I would have dug it.

With the brass ring down, both machines nulled on it. With it up, the CTX got an iron and coin signal at multiple angles. Using my E-trac, Tinthumb found one angle that he said he might dig it from.

I wish now that I had been in more of a testing mode, and marked the spot, then scanned it with the E-trac before digging it.

Gman
Square Nail
Square Nail

Back to top Go down